Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Santa in July at a Balloon Event

Had a delightful event twisting balloons in Groton, CT.
I was doing what I do and one little boy loudly commented: "You look like Santa!"
It was  not the first time I have heard that comment.*
I went into ,my standard reply:
       "I am not the Santa this year! I am the younger brother of the Santa."
This typically gets a slightly confused look from the child.
This little boy was no exception so I clarify:
       "OK, If you swear to keep a secret, I can tell you a little.
        You must know that there is more than one Santa. We are a big family.
         At Christmas time, we each take a bunch of families to take care of.
         Each of us reports to THE Santa on what you guys are up to."
This generates various questions which I ignore and answer my own way.
For example:
        "You are wondering who gets to be THE Santa, I bet.
          Every 73 years, we all get together for the Santa Games.
          The winner is THE Santa for the next several decades.
          I came in second last time. I was two points behind in the Chimney event.
          I still think they judged wrong."
I then end; swearing them to secrecy.

I did this at the event at Carwild and the little boy spent the next hour dragging
parents, grandparents and anyone else over.
He would point to me and get them to lean over so he could whisper the secret.
A number of grandparents informed me that they were sworn to keep my secret.

It is good to be me!


*For any who do not know the roles and Santa and Mrs Claus are filled by Sally and me typically starting right after Thanksgiving

No comments:

Post a Comment